Ashley at Temple

Ashley at Temple

Sunday, March 23, 2014

안녕하세요! 

It sounds like everybody is having a great start to spring! Spring is definitely here! Our entire mission just finished spring cleaning! I feel like Spring is getting cut a bit short, because it is already getting hot! I am starting to get nervous for my first Korean summer! haha. Apparently it is a once in a lifetime experience! Wish me luck!

This week was filled with lots of surprises, but I was reminded again of a very important lesson that I thought I should share.

I was reading the talk by Thomas S. Monson, "Charity Never Faileth", and the following story reminded me yet again of this very important lesson:

A young couple, Lisa and John, moved into a new neighborhood. One morning while they were eating breakfast, Lisa looked out the window and watched her next-door neighbor hanging out her wash.

“That laundry’s not clean!” Lisa exclaimed. “Our neighbor doesn't know how to get clothes clean!”

John looked on but remained silent.

Every time her neighbor would hang her wash to dry, Lisa would make the same comments.

A few weeks later Lisa was surprised to glance out her window and see a nice, clean wash hanging in her neighbor’s yard. She said to her husband, “Look, John—she’s finally learned how to wash correctly! I wonder how she did it.”

John replied, “Well, dear, I have the answer for you. You’ll be interested to know that I got up early this morning and washed our windows!”


As I mentioned earlier, we just finished spring cleaning as a mission. BUT we have just began a spring cleaning in our hearts. 

An experience that I had this week was very motivating and a great reminder. I have been so impressed with my ward. They are the most loving and accepting people. They realize that life is hard! Sometimes it is a big accomplishment to show up to church! Lots of members sometimes show up in pants or something else and other members don't even think to say anything about it! When I first arrived I was surprised but I am starting to see how beautiful these people are. This week one of my cute investigators came to church for a lesson. We had talked to her about dressing up for church and she was very nervous because she doesn't normally wear skirts. She showed up in what wouldn't be deemed as "long enough," but she received the biggest welcome from our bishop. I have never been so impressed! He looked at HER, not her appearance. 

When this happened, I had already read Thomas S. Monson's talk. This experience that I had with my investigator and my bishop, was President Monson's talk in action. 

I am challenging all of you to take this next week to start a cleaning of your hearts. Clean those dirty windows! I love how Mother Teresa put it, "If you judge people, you have no time to love them." I am learning more and more how much we cannot look at a persons appearance. If I looked at most of my investigators by their appearance, I wouldn't have time to love them. We all have made mistakes, we all have flaws. Let't get past that and help each other out! It is time to do some cleaning! Cleaning of our hearts. We are surrounded by so many beautiful people. Let's all love one another! Its so simple! 

I love you all so much! Keep up the great work! Keep working together. 

Love,
Sister Farr

p.s. We had the first English Sunday School and it went very well! I am excited to see how this will turn out long term. 

No comments:

Post a Comment